Monday, November 11, 2013

The Kindergarten Shot Caller

Sawyer and Sage are in Kindergarten.

Sawyer has been telling me stories about this boy that he plays with. We'll just call him "Skippy." From what Sawyer has been telling me, Skippy likes to call the shots on the playground.

One day at recess last week, Sawyer was playing on the jungle gym bars and fell off and bonked his face. It made a nice scratch across his chin. That afternoon, as we put a band-aid on it, he asked me if anyone would make fun of him for wearing a band-aid on his face. I told him not to worry about what other people thought or said about it. {I might add that Sage also found a "scratch" on her chin in the exact same spot as Sawyer's scratch and so she "required" a band-aid on her face as well} I sent them both to school the next day, each with band-aids across their chins, chuckling inside at the fact that Sage felt the need to have a matching wound with Sawyer. When I picked them up from school, I noticed that Sage still had her band-aid on, and Sawyer did not. I asked him what happened.

Skippy is what happened.

Skippy told him to take off his band-aid, so he did.

Skippy also likes to say mean things to Sage and her friends on the playground. Remember this story? We found out that Skippy was the culprit.

A few days later, Sawyer was sent to the treasure box for good behavior to pick out a toy. Skippy whispered to Sawyer to grab an extra toy for him. Sawyer told him no, because he didn't want to get in trouble and he knew it was wrong.

Skippy is a Kindergarten shot caller.

I was so proud of Sawyer for choosing the right. I commended him for being honest and making the right choice, and assured him that if he would have been caught, he would have gotten into trouble and probably would have lost treasure box privileges in the future.

It bothers me that at such a young age, they are already experiencing bullying. As a mother, I think it is very important to help build my children's confidence and self-esteem so that when they are faced with these kinds of situations, they have enough confidence to stand up for themselves and those around them that are being bullied.

I told Sawyer that he should find some new friends to play with. No thank you, shot callers.


Isn't that a handsome, sweet face?

No comments:

Post a Comment