Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Sweet Realization

A year ago, I attended Time Out for Women in Portland, Oregon. Hilary Weeks was one of the speakers performing for us. Not only did she perform many of her songs for us at the event, but she shared some personal experiences as well as her testimony. She is such a talented woman, and I'm grateful I was able to see her in person.

There is one thing in particular that she talked about that I don't think I will ever forget. It has always stuck with me.

She said,
Several years ago, I was on a mother-daughter dinner date with Calli, who was nine at the time. Through a mouthful of macaroni and cheese, Calli giggled as she recounted a game of freeze tag she played during recess that day.

Then it hit me…

I will spend eternity knowing Calli as an adult. But tonight, right here, right now and for the next few precious years I have the rare privilege of knowing her as a child.

What a gift to experience the children in our lives as children!

For a brief moment during the journey of mortality, we get to watch them laugh, learn, experience, grow.


Her experience with her daughter during that dinner date was the inspiration for her song, "Stand Still."

Good luck listening to it without crying.

You can also find a blog post where she wrote about it, here.

There are hard days when whining and bickering are worse than other days. But this knowledge can change my whole attitude towards my children as I handle the situation. I am so lucky to be a mother. I am so lucky to have the children that I do.

It is just a great reminder to slow down and enjoy the precious moments and days that we have with our small children. They grow up so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment