Monday, October 28, 2013

Gentleness

A word that I have been thinking about lately: Gentleness

This is how the dictionary defines the word gentle...

gen·tle adj.
gen·tlergen·tlest

1. Considerate or kindly in disposition; amiable and tender
2. Not harsh or severe; mild and soft
3. Easily managed or handled; docile


This is the perfect definition for how I should react when I get upset with my children.  Sometimes it can be so easy to react with anger, so I've been trying to remember to treat them with more gentleness.  If I am reacting with harsh words and raising my voice, I am only teaching them to do that also.  It's a real struggle sometimes, but I believe that the more I work on this, the more peaceful our home will be.

On another note, I came home this afternoon from taking the twins to their dance class and discovered Payton had endured an injury.  She had stepped on a rusty nail.  It went straight through her shoe and into her foot, about an inch.  Danny was taking apart some wood pallets for someone, and she was helping him load up the wood into the back of his truck when it happened.  Thank goodness my mom had stopped by, because she is the one who tended to Payton in her time of distress and pulled the nail out since I wasn't home.  Payton was such a trooper.  I am not good with serious injuries, they make me queasy.  When needed though, my inner Mama Bear will come out and I can take care of business.  Thank goodness I have Danny to balance me out because he doesn't struggle dealing with more serious injuries like that.  With having eleven children, my mother-in-law has so many injury stories, so I like to ask her about them from time to time.  Danny told us tonight that he has stepped on his share of nails during his childhood and they healed right up, so Payton should be back on her feet in no time. But seriously, to think at one point I wanted to be a nurse is just laughable.

No comments:

Post a Comment