Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Top 5 Love Songs

Music has always been a huge part of my life.  My first memory of starting my cassette tape collection was when my aunt Sherece bought me the C+C Music Factory tape for my birthday because I loved that song, "Everybody Dance Now."  I was only about 7 or 8 years old, but I was SO excited!  I would listen to it over and over!  As I grew up, my music collection grew bigger.  Among my favorites were Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson, MC Hammer, and Mariah Carey in my early days.  When I was old enough to babysit my younger sisters, I would turn on our giant stereo system as soon they left the driveway as loud as I could and dance/exercise with them.  We'd grab our hairbrushes and pretend they were microphones.  I also remember listening to the radio for hours hoping to catch one of my favorite songs so I could record it onto a mix tape.  Thank goodness now for the internet, iTunes, Youtube, and Google.  

Through the years, I've come to appreciate the many different genres of music.   I thought it would be fun to compile a list of just a few of my favorite love songs in honor of Valentine's Day tomorrow.  

I've always loved Valentine's Day, even as a kid.  Growing up, my mom would always make sure we woke up on Valentine's Day to find a sweet note and candies from her and my dad.  In elementary school, I loved bringing home my sack of Valentine's that contained all the cards we passed out in class and going through them.  

Here are just a few of my favorite love songs (in no particular order)…



"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me," by Mel Carter

I love the drama of this song!  It's a classic!  Some versions of this song have been done by other artists, including Gloria Estefan, but this original version by Mel Carter is my favorite.




"Without You" by Mariah Carey

I already mentioned my love for Mariah Carey growing up, and this song was one of my absolute favorites. "Without You" was originally performed by a group called Badfinger, but when Mariah released her version in 1994, it became an instant hit.  Her voice is absolutely incredible.




"Time to Say Goodbye," by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli

I absolutely love Andrea Bocelli!  And Sarah Brightman (especially her version of "The Phantom of the Opera")!  This song is one of Danny and I's favorites!  It is heavenly.  Despite what the title of this song suggests, the lyrics are very romantic!  Someday, I will see Andrea live in concert. It's on my bucket list.




"Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe," by Barry White

Who doesn't love the deep soul in Barry White's voice?  It is incredible!




"I Just Can't Stop Loving You," by Michael Jackson featuring Siedah Garrett

I am a huge fan of Michael Jackson.  I love to watch live versions of his songs because his dancing is amazing and the theatrics of his tours were over the top.  I once watched a documentary of the making of his "Thriller" video and his choreographer talked about how even though his backup dancers had spent much of their lives studying dance, Michael would walk into the studio and outperform them because he was just so naturally gifted.  "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" is probably my favorite song of his.  Throughout the decades, he performed this song with the different women that toured with him.  In the late 80's on his Bad World Tour, a less-famous Sheryl Crow was his lead female backup singer and if you want to see them performing this song together, click here. Sheryl's hair stylist must have used several cans of hairspray.



And because it's almost Valentine's Day, I thought I'd share an old photo of Danny and I.  I believe this was about 13 years ago.

I had some pretty sweet bangs, huh? :)
Danny and I just fit perfectly together.  We are two peas in a pod.  He is my best friend.  I'm so grateful I get to share this life and eternity with him!


No comments:

Post a Comment